Treatment of Dog Dandruff
There are a lot of remedies available for dog dandruff such as coat conditioners, shampoos, supplements, itch reducers as well as fortified dog foods. In fact, any particular product that can provide moisture to the dog's coat will help a lot. Products such as oatmeal shampoos which are approved by most vests are very popular. Oatmeal helps to maintain and restore the natural oils better compared to regular shampoos. Thus, bathing your dogs regularly using oatmeal shampoos will help avoid and stop dandruff.
The use of medicated iodine solutions in bathing water mixed with oatmeal shampoo and dandruff shampoo will surely lessen the itching problem that your dog experiences. However, it would be so much better when you provide additional oil-producing agents with the regular bath because it will eliminate the dandruff completely. Moreover, adding salmon oil to your dog's food will increase the production of natural oils on your pet's skin. Daily supplements combined with salmon oil will improve the luster of your pet's coat and it will also help reduce any allergy your dog will get via inhalation such as dust. Salmon has an antihistamine effect that is effective on the health, skin and fur of your pet.
Those easy and cost-effective methods above will definitely control and manage your dog's dandruff. It will bring peace of mind to pet owners like you and a happy life to your dogs. Not to mention, lots of money can be saved because you will be having lesser vet visits for dandruff problem. Moreover, home remedies are quite effective in minimizing dandruff. All you need to do is follow these steps:
- You should make sure your dog is well provided with clean water. If there is fresh water then the better.
- You need to provide good humidity levels for your pet to enjoy.
- Ensure that your pet has proper diet that includes calcium, fat, oil and vitamins. Avoid feeding your pet dry food that lacks oil or fat. Also, providing good quality dog food together with home cooked meals and supplementary food gives your pet a balanced diet.
- Provide regular bath to your precious pet with the use of skin nourishing dog shampoos that contain healthy and natural ingredients. Always remember to thoroughly rinse the coat because it can also cause itchiness and rashes. Also, frequent brushing using small doses of cooking oil or body oils during the winter will even out the oil and fat level in the skin.
- You need to keep your kennel (or resting place) and its surroundings spic and span. Also, it is important to allow the dog to dry out itself naturally after a good toweling. Brush the dog's hair during and after bath. Make sure to use a good dog powder to keep the skin free of flees.
- You can use a DIY mixture of lemon juice and vinegar when you give regular brush and body massage to your dog in order to get rid of its dandruff problem. After a good rub, you can wash the dog with an effective anti-dandruff shampoo then dust it with a nice smelling dog powder.
- More importantly, give your pet good company. "Walking dandruff" is often caused by contact with most infected pets, so you need to keep close watch on animals that have it. Better give your dog a walk yourself and treat it as your friend.